Tuesday 14 July 2009

Phalanx Show & General Wittering.

A month..that's far too long! But these things happen...too busy at work, too busy at home, too busy helping out with a mates gardening business (he's had a stroke & thankfully he's getting better slowly), and just not enough hours in the week really. I haven't even been to the pub as much...yep, I've had so little time!!
Mind you, we have had a fair bit of hobby time over the last month as well. A few of us went to Phalanx on 20th June..(http://www.phalanxshow.co.uk/). It's a smallish show, but what a friendly place!!There were some lovely games on, and the B&B...well, I just wish we'd had more cash on us. We did buy a couple of Roman/Carthage 6mm armies, and although "too small & I can't see them" as some say, having used them, they're more than ok! Good to play a different period too, using DBA rules..easy to use and fun to play. Also, I found my particular 'Find of the Month'...saw an A4 box on the B&B, I opened it, my wallet opened, and there they were...painted 20mm plastic Zulu's and Brits....with a Donald Featherstone book, (At them with the Bayonet), and rules and sandbags, all for a mere £30ish. Well, you can't just leave that can you, so they were bought too, and I've based them up for DBColonial rules, which again having had a couple of games, are nice and easy to use. The sight of these plastic figures, (not everyone's cup of tea I know, but heck, cheap and available, and have a certain childhood happiness about them), sent me searching through my garage, where I found some long forgotton plastic ACW...not so forgotton now, and soon to be used I'd say, with DBACW rules..! It was good to meet up with some people I haven't seen for a while, and naturally a good day was had by all. Here's few pictures of the show games..




As you can see, there was some quality there! There's some more pictures up on DarkLord's Site that are worth a look at too (http://dlwarspace.blogspot.com/).
June 27th was Armed Forces Day as you'll know, and happily in nearby Scarborough there was a fine display on. Among the display of Machine Guns, I saw the usual, and then saw one that was just a lot bigger..I enquired, and it was a GMG...a Grenade Machine Gun...fires 40mm grenades up to two miles, at @30 a minute. Have that, Mr Taliban. It was good to see such a large turnout by the public, and such a show of support for the Forces. There was a small and largely ignored 'Peace Table' nearby, and only one loutish abuser who shouted out as the parade marched past...he didn't get to say too much before he was swifted away by the local Peeler's, hopefully to recieve some strong advice on his future behaviour toward people who deserve our respect and support. The two minute silence was well observed, and it was good just to be there and show support for our Armed Forces. Young Jordan and chums looked the part in their CCF uniform too, very smart, they showed that not all today's 'youth' are a feckless listless bunch. There is in fact hope for the future with people like that growing up so well. (And that's from a cynic such as me).
On the gaming side, we've had Napoleonic, Ancient and Colonial games this last month, mostly at my place, with myself, Alex, Richie, Doug and Gareth and Ben. I'll post some pictures up soonest. I have to say, the variety of games and periods we can do now does make a difference, and the ease and good nature of my fellow gamers makes these games all the more enjoyable.
For the near future, I need just a few more plastic Zulu war boxes...wagons and cavalry and suchlike...just a few more boxes...and I need to base up my Village War stuff..and..!
A warm welcome to Jake Bullet, who's just started a Blog with lots of potential on his D&D Adventures (http://jbdandd.blogspot.com/2009/07/our-first-adventure-a1.html) and to GreyStreak, who I've known for a while and finally met up with at the South Mimms Waterloo game. Good to see you both on here, you're more than welcome.
Heck, is that the time? It's time for the pub, first time in far too long!

1 comment:

Wow Gold said...

Very impressive blog. I liked it.