Monday 14 June 2010

Durham Show, 12th June 2010

A good day out all round was had, five of us trooped out from the Yorkshire Coasters, and a pleasant drive over the moors past Whitby took us on toward Durham. (Title Post is linked). We had a later start than usual, as we weren't putting a game on, and altogether had a pleasant & steady sort of day. This is always a decent friendly show, and though it seemed a tad smaller than last time I was there, there were some decent looking games on, worthwhile traders and the B&B had some quality stuff on it. The B&B staff were very helpful too with booking stuff in, and had a common sense system going.
It was good to meet up with Norman, Andy & Tim and have tea & scones, which were well nice and creamy, and a good natter was had. Spent @£60 on books and some painted pirates with cannons, just had to have them, a couple of Irregular Miniatures dogs, and some 1/72 Crimean War British Hussars .. so there's new game afoot there. There was a lot more I could have spent on, but in these days of financial constraint...
A tea & bun stop was had on the way up, just in time too before we collapsed from hunger. This photo is a bit shaky, I obviously had low blood sugar due to lack of bacon.. we were all a lot happier after a good chew, Dave even managed the "all you can eat in one bun" deal. It was huge.
My camera failed me after the tea shop, so my thanks to Tim for the following show photos.
There was a large quality ACW game..
And a cracking Wild West type game, which seemed to have everything in it, from US army, Indians, bank robbers, and so on. There was lots going on in this game, including an accidental shed fire.. of which Richie denied all knowledge, even though he was gaming right next to it.This Fort was a wonderful model...

The Indians on the warpath, now these were a quality paint job.
Buying wise, as said I did have to restrain myself, there was such a lot of decent stuff on offer. For a mere £25, I collected this little lot from the B&B. Anything with Mr Featherstone's name on it seems to need buying up I reckon.
I also bought two sets of these, pirates with guns, thinking "They're different, and will do in my 18thC 25mm games". I could see there was something different about them, but put it down to the good paint job. Imagine my chuckles when I got home and realised they were 40mm, not 25mm. Oh yes, how I laughed to myself at having spent £20 on the wrong sized figures. But still, they're nice enough, and I'll make them into some sort of diorama thing to put on the shelf. Or maybe just buy a few more 40mm pirates ... just a few...
A swift tea & bun stop on the way back kept us going, and we winded our weary way home. I had to get back for a pub steak dinner with an old chum, for 7pm, which turned into a marathon pub session till @2am, hence my memory is a tad hazy I must say, though it was as usual a grand day all round, well done Durham and hope to make it again next year.
A swift witter, here's a link kindly provided by a Wd3 chum, for all you pie-lovers.. http://farmparkwild.co.uk/mr-kews-pies/mr-kews-pies/
and a welcome to Surfus & Beccas, thanks for joining, hope you enjoy the Blog.
Regards,
Peeler

4 comments:

Ricky Frost said...

Nice write up Peeler, and nice pics Tim. Especially like the link at the end. mmmm....pie.

Big Andy said...

Peelr didn't see you there were you hiding? Andy

Peeler said...

Thanks Rich, I liked the pie link, it had to go up there!
Hi Andy, I did see you & the game looked terrif, you were deep in conversation though! So I thought best not to interupt... then it was time to go sadly..

Tim_Waudby said...

A very enjoyable day. I took away a lot of ideas for modelling and scenery and such. I forgot to ask the ACW game people how they did their table cover? It looked like some sort of paper moulded over some hills etc, whatever it was it looked simple yet effective.

I'm starting to regret not looking at the books more in the bring and buy.

Tim.